¡Hola! (Hello in Spanish)
- Date: 2015/11/3 – 2015/11/6
- Port Name: Callao
- Country: Peru
- First time there?: Yes!
- What did I do?:
- Day 1: Traveled to Lima from Callao to stay the night before our morning flight the next day. The ceviche dinner was yums.
- Day 2: From Lima, we flew to Cusco and stayed the night at the home of a local family in the little quaint town in the mountains. The house was modest with a courtyard and rooms on four (or three?) sides.
- Day 3: Machu Picchu, with a hike up Wayna Picchu
- Day 4: Went back to Lima and spent the rest of the day chilling with stray cats at the town square.
You know, my favorite Disney movie was the Emperor’s New Groove for a long time. I loved that scene where Kuzco pauses the movie and explains his situation with a red marker, I remember thinking that it was SO revolutionary at that time because I’d never seen a character from a movie breaking the fourth wall like that before.
And to be completely completely honest, just like a lot of other things I learned from the cruise, I didn’t know about Machu Picchu before the trip, let alone knowing anything about the connection between it and the setting of a favorite Disney movie. I don’t know when it was exactly that I had the realization (before reaching Peru? or after reaching Peru?) but I definitely made Lucia watch the Emperor’s New Groove for one of our roomie movie nights at some point because she hadn’t seen it. Still good after all these years! I love Kronk and his deep voice and tiny waist.
Postcard for the family:
Next port: Papeete!